- On a piece of paper, sketch out the room, including all doors, windows and openings.
- Measure each wall from corner to corner and note the dimension of each, including openings ( doorways, windows, built-ins etc,)
- Start at one corner of the room and measure the distance from corner to the outside edge of the window casing: from there to the opposite edge of the window casing: and so on to the opposite corner. Continue this around the room until all areas are measured.
- The ceiling height
- The location of windows on each wall
- The height of the windows and doors
- The location of all electrical outlets
- The location of any ceiling fixtures or fans